5 Oral Hygiene Tips for a Healthy Smile
Oral hygiene is crucial for maintaining a healthy smile and preventing tooth decay and gum disease. Regular visits to the dental office, combined with a proper oral hygiene routine at home, can help ensure that your teeth and gums stay healthy. At Matthews Smiles, we want you to feel confident and maintain an oral hygiene routine that will keep you smiling each and everyday.
- It’s important to brush your teeth at least twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste. Brushing for two minutes each time will help remove plaque and bacteria from your teeth and gums. It’s also recommended to floss daily to remove plaque and food particles from between your teeth. If you find yourself struggling with keeping up with flossing, try using a water pique at home. The process is faster than flossing, though best results are achieved when the two are combined.
- Using an antiseptic mouthwash can help kill bacteria and freshen your breath. It is also important to limit sugary and acidic foods and drinks, as they can cause tooth decay. Drinking through a straw can help limit the amount of staining and damage to your teeth. If you struggle to give up the sugary drinks, try rinsing your mouth with water after drinking them, or using mouthwash to help clean your mouth out again.
- Using a tongue scraper can help to maintain oral health. Tongue scrapers can help to remove some bacteria from the mouth, and they can help with bad breath. There are plenty to choose from online, and this is just one more easy way to boost your oral health each day. Performing a tongue scraping each time you brush your teeth is a simple, yet beneficial practice to add into your oral hygiene routine.
- Scheduling regular visits with Matthews Smiles is another important part of maintaining your smile. Our dentists can detect and treat potential issues before they become more serious. We can also provide a professional cleaning to remove plaque and tartar that may have built up on your teeth. Having these cleanings keeps up the beautiful appearance of your teeth, but also benefits your overall oral health.
- Come in for a dental check-up at least twice a year. During your visit, a Matthews Smiles dentist will examine your teeth and gums, check for any signs of tooth decay or gum disease, and provide a professional cleaning. Following x-rays of your mouth, we can assess any damage and plan your next visits accordingly. Our goal is that you walk out of our dental office with a renewed sense of confidence in your beautiful smile.
Having a good relationship with your teeth is made easier by making it a part of your daily routine. By following these oral hygiene tips and visiting Matthews Smiles regularly, you can maintain a healthy smile and prevent dental problems. Remember, a healthy mouth leads to a healthy body, so take care of your oral hygiene. Keep in touch with the Matthews Smiles dental office for maintaining a healthy and beautiful smile.