Patients seeking to correct teeth discoloration, gaps, chippings, or misshapen teeth find dental veneer a painless option that results in natural-looking teeth. This corrective treatment will improve the shape and shade of the teeth for a healthy smile. But, between composite veneers and porcelain veneers, how do you determine which procedure will work best to correct your teeth? Here is a quick guide.
Understanding Dental Veneer
Dental veneer is a thin shell that cover the front surface of the teeth to improve their appearance. The shell’s color resembles the adjacent teeth. By concealing the visible teeth defects, veneers protect the crown and restore a healthy smile. There are two main types of veneers as follows:
1. Composite Veneers
Direct or same-day veneers are of a tooth-colored composite resin material that is put directly on the teeth. It is a less invasive treatment that takes a short period to prepare and fix. Direct resin veneers use a material that resembles that for composite bonding. The entire procedure can take place during a single visit to the cosmetic dentist.
In contrast, indirect composite veneers are of custom made tooth-colored composite resin material prepared in advance at the dentist’s office or the dental laboratory. Here, the patient will have more than one visit to the dentist. First, the dentist will book the patient to get an impression of the teeth and prepare the indirect resin veneers. The patients wear temporary veneers as they wait for the second visit is to apply the mold to the teeth using an adhesive film.
Indirect composite veneers are strong and durable, able to withstand any tooth abrasions or fracturing. Plus, due to the detailed procedure, and more stable results, indirect composite veneers are more expensive than the direct ones. Resin veneers last for between 5 to 7 years.
• Direct resin veneers offer quick and affordable treatment. The procedure takes 3 to 5 hours in a single visit. In that visit, you resolve multiple issues, and need not spend money on subsequent visits.
• Direct resin veneers are non-invasive and pain-free.
• If damage, it is easy to repair same day veneers by adding more resin to the chipped or broken section of the teeth.
• Indirect resin veneers are strong and durable.
• Both direct and indirect composite veneers will conceal any aesthetic teeth defects, including stained or discolored teeth, and misaligned teeth chipped teeth or gaps between teeth.
• The resin material tends to chip over time. In turn, you may need to go for repairs or replacements more often.
2. Porcelain Veneers
Dental porcelain is similar to indirect composite veneers, only that they use a porcelain material for the custom shell. Fixing these veneers takes at least a week. During this time, the cosmetic dentist will send the impression of the teeth to the dental laboratory to prepare the mold. Also, the patient has to wear a temporary veneer until the next visit when the shell is ready for fixing. On the second visit, the dentist applies the porcelain shells using an adhesive resulting in natural-looking teeth with no imperfections. Dental porcelain lasts for 10 to 15 years.
• Porcelain material is of robust quality, making the veneers to last longer than composite veneers.
• The shells are custom made, resulting in a more precise appearance.
• These veneers are more effective in fixing darker stains and discoloration than composite veneers.
• Due to the extended procedure and number of visits needed, dental porcelains are rather expensive.
• The patient has to be careful to keep the mold intact. Otherwise, they may fall off and need fresh adhesive to fix them back.
Both types of veneers are excellent at restoring your smile. Share your aesthetic goals with your dentist. The doctor will advise you on the procedure that will fit you most. For example, when you are in a hurry or on a tight budget, the same day veneers are an excellent alternative to dental porcelain. But, if you have severe teeth defects that rob your self-confidence, the dental porcelains offer a longer-lasting and much more natural-looking solution.